Sunday, May 5, 2019

End of First Week Reflection


First Week Reflection
For my senior project, I am interning with Jim Rosenberg at Shaheen and Gordon in Concord. As a shadow to him, I arrive at work when he does and leave when he leaves. Since I follow him all day, I withhold many information about what happens in my blogs because of the strict confidentiality a lawyer and a client share. As we go about our day I meet many people working in government, newspaper, and law firms while simultaneously learning about law.  
Only five days into the internship, I am loving every second of it. Every aspect, from the way the lawyers interact with one another, interactions with clients, and courtroom experiences all contribute to my newfound respect and interest in law. After meeting Jim in the court on the first day I was hooked. The way he had presented his argument to the judge was articulate and energetic and interesting to watch. This was exciting to watch from the back of the court, even if it was 2 hours long.
I have learned a lot this week but most concretely known is the way a courtroom functions as well as an attorneys schedule. Before this internship, I had never been in a courtroom or even been in a law firm. I never knew how much preparation went into opening arguments, closing arguments, exhibits, etc. While many times lawyers team up for a particular case and assist each other, there is still sometimes hundreds of pages of documents that will be used if a case is going to trial. Many would find the paperwork boring, but I love reading through expert testimonies and exhibits because it makes me feel more involved in the case.
At the end of the week, I really feel that I have found a potential career. The most interesting aspect of law that I’ve observed is how black and white the law is, but how every situation and individual in a case is so unique, and a judge may make a decision that another judge wouldn’t. Continuing into the second week, I feel prepared and excited to see what the week will bring.

1 comment: