Sunday, May 19, 2019

End of Third Week Reflection

Third Week Reflection
This week was very different compared to the past few weeks I’ve been shadowing Jim. During this week I was able to experience more of the many small criminal cases Jim takes on as a criminal defense lawyer, which is the area I would want to practice in as a lawyer if I ever become one. Shadowing Jim and meeting the different clients he works with demonstrates a much more personal approach to law, and in the end seeing people relieved with a dropped charge makes it rewarding. On Monday, we were already receiving calls and picking up smaller cases for future weeks. Jim informed me that day, this was his area of expertise. The week started slow with a few client meetings, but as the week progressed, it became more interesting. In particular during this past week, I went to federal court for a sentencing, district court multiple times for DUI and traffic related cases, and federal prison to meet with an inmate. The prison experience was especially life-changing because I had never been in one, let alone sit inside 10 feet away from other prisoners who have allegedly committed serious crimes. Aside from doing all of these things, some mornings are spent in the office meeting with clients or taking phone calls. I don’t talk or anything while Jim is on the phone but I love meeting and talking with people who come into the office, and occasionally I’ll help out with something during the meeting. Of course, me helping is something like writing down a phone number or someone’s name for Jim, but it keeps me attentive and I’m truly interested in everyone’s situation. In terms of meeting my goals for this project, I feel that I’m meeting them and learning everyday not only about law, but the personal side of being a lawyer. There’s a lot of paperwork and note taking that comes with being a lawyer, and I’ve seen that as well which helps me see all perspectives. I’m sad the internship is coming to an end, but I’m looking forward to my next two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment